Monday, August 2, 2010

Why I'm Glad I Live In the Country Close to my In-laws--and Why I'm Not

The Brain and I live in the country fairly close to his parents and grandparents. He is very close to his grandpa. In fact I call The Brain's grandpa just that--Grandpa. I figure Grandpa-in-law is too long and cumbersome and just stupid sounding to use, so he's Grandpa to me, too.

Anyhoo, we live close to his family. And it's not all bad, either. If I need a cup of sugar or blueberries, they are more than willing to share. And I'm not even kidding, either; his mama has brought me blueberries when I decided to make homemade blueberry muffins and didn't have any blueberries.

Because we live in the country, sometimes I forget to lock the back door. Not usually for very long, but if I went outside for a minute, I may forget to lock the door for a couple of hours. It's not a big deal, though, because there aren't that many people who come by to visit.

However, Grandpa will sometimes come over to get The Brain and go for coffee (where they "man-gossip" together, though I've been told numerous times they don't do that--yeah right) and if the door is unlocked, he'll just come on in the house. Of course, he calls out "Hello" or something like that so as not to come face-to-face with a large gun or a metal rod being wielded about by yours truly.

Sometimes I worry, though. Having relatives that will come into your house and leaving the door unlocked accidentally can lead to some pretty awkward situations, like when I'm lying in bed with The Brain, and we're both naked and knocked out from having sex while The Cute One sleeps. Yeah, that one is tough to explain.

Good thing I remembered to lock the door this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment